In order to study abroad, you need to prove your proficiency in certain subjects. For this, there are many different exams that you need to take before you go to study abroad, depending on your purpose. These exams differ according to the education you want to take and the country you want to study. Your language skills and general knowledge level are measured in the exams.
TOEFL is a valid test in over 130 countries, especially in the USA and Canada. This exam is prepared by the Educational Testing Service. It is also headquartered in New Jersey.
It is a placement test used to measure the English level of international students whose mother tongue is not English but who want to study abroad. Those who will apply to undergraduate, graduate, or doctoral programs must take this exam.
There are two different formats for the TOEFL test. These;
• TOEFL IBT: In this format, the exam is administered over the internet. It is accepted by all universities. It consists of four different parts: reading, writing, listening, and speaking. The total duration of the exam is four hours.
• TOEFL PBT: The difference with TOEFL IBT is that there is no speaking part in this format. It is also carried out in written form at certain exam centers. TOEFL PBT contains more questions.
IELTS is an internationally recognized English language proficiency test. It is the type of exam that people who want to study or work in English-speaking countries apply for. IELTS is co-owned by Cambridge University, British Council and Australia.
It consists of four parts: listening, reading, writing and speaking. The validity period of the IELTS exam is two years.
There are two different types for the purpose.
Academic IELTS: Suitable for those who wish to study undergraduate, graduate or doctoral studies in English-speaking countries.
General Education IELTS: Suitable for people who want to work in English-speaking countries or to study other than undergraduate, graduate or doctoral studies.
The purpose of the GMAT exam is to measure the numerical, verbal and analytical problem skills and command of English of international students who want to study abroad. People who want to study undergraduate or graduate education abroad prefer the GMAT exam because it is an important criterion that schools look for. The exam is conducted online. It is especially preferred by people who want to apply to graduate programs in business administration. The reason for this is that the score from the GMAT exam is important for prestigious universities in the field of business administration.
Those who want to get a master's or doctorate education, especially in engineering and social sciences, can take the GRE exam at universities that provide education in English. It is organized by the Educational Testing Service.
There are two different types of GRE exams.
• GRE Subject Test: The exam consists of 8 different disciplines and is the type of exam where proficiency is proven in the field in which you want to get a master's degree.
• GRE General Test: It has a general scope and the results of this exam are required from those who apply to master or doctoral programs. It can be done online.
Some educational institutions only require GRE General Test results, but some educational institutions may require both test results. It is not possible to participate in this type of exam online.
The SAT is an exam that must be taken by those who want to study in the USA. It is divided into two; SAT I and SAT II.
• SAT I (Reasoning Test): This type of exam consists of two parts. These sections are numerical and verbal.
• SAT II (Subject Tests): It is a type of exam that measures the knowledge of individuals in certain academic fields such as chemistry, physics and history.
While some universities only require SAT I results, more prestigious universities may also require SAT II results.
ACT is preferred by those who want to study in the United States of America. The purpose of the exam is to determine the level of the students. It is an alternative to the SAT I exam. The ACT consists of four parts. These sections are;
SSAT is an exam that students who want to study abroad must have. If you are going to get a high school education, you must take this exam. The exam is divided into three according to the grades of the students.
• Elementary Level: Suitable for 3rd and 4th-grade students.
• Middle Level: Suitable for 5th, 6th and 7th-grade students.
• Upper Level: Suitable for 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th-grade students.
Examinations required by educational institutions for international students may vary. For this reason, you should definitely research the exams requested by the institution you want to study.